Andouille Sausage Stuffing Recipe
- 1 or 2- ¼# links Delta Dream Andouille Sausage (milder or original spicy)-casing removed, finely diced (I usually leave casing, some prefer it removed)
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1½ Cups of chicken or turkey stock
- 2- 4T butter
- 1- 14 oz. bag sage and onion stuffing croutons
- 1 apple-sliced or cubed
Heat a 10”-12” cast iron (preferred) pan over medium-low heat and melt butter. Add onion, sauté until translucent. I don’t caramelize sausage mixture, though you may choose to.
While performing operation above, heat stock and butter in small saucepan until nearly boiling.
In a large mixing bowl, add croutons, stock and Andouille and vegetable mixture. Toss thoroughly until stock is absorbed. Dice apple last and add to prevent browning. I don’t peel apple, some do.
If not stuffing bird, I butter a casserole dish, add stuffing and cover with peppered and salted chicken thighs, as shown. Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes, until chicken reads 170 degrees on meat thermometer. Leave stuffing, covered, to retain heat and broil chicken briefly to crisp up skin. Enjoy together or separately as you choose.